COLD WAR IN ASIA
- 2 seperate governments in Korea: US & USSR
- North Korea invaded South Korea
- US sent troops to stop North Korea
- China sent in troops in to press UN forces
- armistice signed after 3 years with no victory
- China's relationship with soviet union weakened
- internal problems caused China to try and strengthen relations with United States
- Richard Nixon became first president to visit PRC in 1979.
China-Rule under Deng Xiaoping
- Mao Zedong died in September 1976
- Deng Xiaoping took power
- led Chinese modernization and economic reform
- very practical man
- fought against democracy in China
- became Time Magazine 'Man of the Year'